EN 102-011, Christopher Koester, Melissa Green
Option 2: Methods for Approaching Research
This lesson corresponds with The Norton Field Guide to Writing 4th Edition, P281-284 Writing as Inquiry; Norton P289-297 Generating Ideas and Texts
In this session, students will learn how to analyze a topic, use reference resources, and develop a search strategy for finding sources for their writing assignments.
This class will cover:
- how to narrow a topic and brainstorm topic ideas
- how to identify key concepts and controlled vocabulary
- how to use reference tools
- how to select search terms and develop a search strategy
- Students will break a topic down into smaller components in order to engage in the iterative process of narrowing a research question.
- Students will select terms related to their key concepts in order to develop a search strategy.
Related LibGuide: EN 102 First Year Writing by Sara Whitver
- Wednesday, September 20, 2017
- 8:00am - 8:50am
- Gorgas 204F
- EN 102
- Humanities Instruction