EN 102-002, Christopher Koester, Melissa Green
Option 1: Basic Searching in Scout
In this session, students will learn basic navigation within Scout, learn to strategically use limiters to filter searches, and examine different formats and content types in order to more intentionally choose sources. This session is focused on digital and media literacy issues within Scout and will not cover controlled vocabulary or keywords (covered in Option 2), or advanced search strategies in Scout or in individual databases (covered in Option 4).
This class will cover:
- how to use Scout’s basic search box
- how to use simple limiters in Scout to narrow a search
- how to access various items such as PDF and HTML files, books on the shelf
- how to request an item from ILL
- Students will use Scout to locate PDF, ebook, and physical book items in order to demonstrate an understanding of the different formats within the library’s collections.
- Students will use various limiters within Scout to strategically filter and review available sources.
Related LibGuide: EN 102 First Year Writing by Sara Whitver
- Monday, September 18, 2017
- 2:00pm - 2:50pm
- Gorgas 204F
- EN 102