This lesson corresponds with The Norton Field Guide to Writing 4th Edition, P469-472, Evaluating Sources
In this session, students will learn to assess a source for relevancy and authority to decide whether a it meets the needs of their writing assignment. Students will engage in activities and conversations throughout this session to help them understand the nature of popular and academic publishing.
This class will cover:
- how to research an author
- how to identify publication process
- how to determine the intent of sources.
- Students will recognize different processes of source creation in order to choose sources that appropriately meet their research needs:
- Editorial oversight
- Intended audience
- Review process
- Student will determine an author’s expertise and the reputation of a publication in order to assess a source’s credibility within their research assignment.